Sunday, September 22, 2019

Diversity & Inclusion



Introduction

This week in class, we discussed a pretty touchy topic. Immigration. On the subjects of diversity and inclusion, immigration is definitely one of the first things to come up. Even though these subjects can lead to some controversy, I feel like our class approached the discussions with very open minds. 

"Which Way Home"

Image result for which way home documentary
The biggest part of our discussion on immigration was definitely the documentary "Which Way Home." The film followed a few different children as they made their way to America on the tops of freight trains. None of the kids shown in the documentary were over 17 years old. Some were even as young as 9 years old. Can you imagine that? Being 9 or 10 years old and feeling such a great need to escape your country to help your family that you would risk your life? It was appalling to see how mature these kids were for their age. They completely understood the weight of their decisions, and they still faced the journey bravely. I was really glad this film was assigned because I feel like it really opened up our eyes a bit more. We were all aware of the way immigration is currently viewed and handled in our country, but films like this give us a chance to see the other side of the story. Overall, I think the film lived up to my expectations. I knew it wasn't going to be a 'happy family film,' so I went into it with the mindset that I would probably be upset by most of the things I would be shown. Because I knew it was going to be a lot to take in, I finished watching with my roommate which definitely helped. It was nice to have someone to discuss things with as the film went on. I don't know if I'd say the message portrayed was very clear just because it could be taken so many ways depending on who you ask. The filmmakers were definitely trying to bring attention to an issue that often gets blown over. The film didn't change my point of view on the topic of immigration, but it gave me a wider perspective. It reminded me of a lot of things I didn't consider when the topic was brought up, such as the conditions these people are traveling in. I was also left with many questions at the end. Did the kids shown make it to the US? Are they okay? Why did Kevin get sent all the way to Washington while Fito was almost immediately sent back? I wish I could have these questions answered because the film makes you truly care for these people and their well-being. 

I think everyone should watch this movie or at least be exposed to similar stories. It's very eye-opening, and it doesn't hurt anyone to become more educated on such sensitive issues. 

No comments:

Post a Comment